Au Pair News | August 2018
“Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: ‘What! You too? I thought I was the only one.” – C.S. Lewis
Erin Oliphant and friends
What’s happening this month
Experience the culture, attend events and make memories!
Bapper of the month:
Getting to know some of the current BAP Au Pairs
1. Name & Nickname: Jessica
2. Birthday: 6/10/1996
3. Au Pair City, country: Schilde,Belgium
4. Fav Colour: Blue
5. Favourite place you have visited so far: Lanzarote (Spain)
6. Fun fact about yourself that not many people know: I love dancing
7. Best thing you have eaten so far: Seafood paella
8. Biggest cultural shock: I don’t know if it’s just me but I fine that most food/dishes are spectacular and my taste buds are exploding
9. Last city you visited and explored: Lanzarote
10. What have you learned about yourself from Au Pairing: I’m actually communicating more and are more adventurous
11. Best experience so far: Spending my birthday in Paris
12. What are you most looking forward to about this year: Traveling to places I’ve always dreamed of visiting
What is she doing now?
What our former Bappers are up to nowadays, the life after Au Pairing
1. Name & Nickname: Aviva Peltz
2. Au Pair City & Year: 2017-2018
3. What were you most afraid of before you left to Au Pair: Not much having done it all before, but language was a concern
4. What was your favourite experience: Travelling so easily and so often to explore and discover new places
5. Sum up your former Host family in 3 words: Generous considerate tops-turvy!
6. Where did you travel to & what was your favourite place: Zürich, Paris, Strassbourg, Cologne, Frankfurt, Heidelberg, Copenhagen, Prague, Budapest, Innsbruck, Brussels, Antwerpen, Brugge, Gent my favourite by a mile was Budapest
7. What did you learn from Au Pairing: Responsibility, organisational skills, patience, a new language!
8. What did you do once you returned to SA: Haven’t been back yet (waiting for new residence permit) but hope to visit home asap!
9. Have you travelled since your Au Pair year: Travel is limited due to residence permit wait but recently had a vacation in Texel!
10. Any plans to return to your Au Pair country & visit: It’s become my new home!
11. What are you doing with your life now: Waiting for my residence permit lol. Applying for my SA degree to be recognised. Enjoying Summer!
12. Would you recommend Au Pairing to other young girls & why: Definitely. It grows you in ways you can’t imagine!
Any advice, words of wisdom or travel tips you want to provide to other Au Pairs: Have a genuine passion for children, don’t just come here to jol. Educate and prepare yourself as much as you can so when you hit a difficult patch, be it with disciplining the kids or being home-sick, you know how best to handle it . Make friends and mix with people from other cultures and backgrounds, people in other lines of work and diversify your group of friends. Make your host family/kids your priority and when they see your commitment, you will be rewarded for it.
Fun things to do with kids this summer
- White School Glue
- Shaving cream
- Contact lens (saline) solution
- Food dye or water based paint
1. Add your white glue to a bowl 2. Add your shaving cream and mix. 3. Add your food coloring until you are satisfied with the color. Mix. 4. Now slowly add in your contact solution. Check exact measurements and recipe here
Linda Bellz embracing her inner child in Switzerland
We would love to hear from you!
Let us know what you want to see featured in our next months issue!
email your suggestions to firstname.lastname@example.org